Forum

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

GS911 Club Purchase?

It's been talked about before and came up again at the end of this months meeting.  For those not familiar the GS911 is a diagnostic tool that allows you to safely access your bikes ECU.  You can read and clear diagnostic fault codes as well as reset service indicators.  More detailed information can be found at:

http://www.gs911usa.com/What_does_it_do.html

So the idea is that the club would purchase this device for all members to use.  Given that it would be available to all to use we would need to purchase the Pro version that has unlimited VINs.  The purchase price of the unlimited version is ~ $750.00.

That is a substantial chunk of change for the club to purchase directly so I would propose that those that are interested and would use it most make a donation to the club to help defray the cost.  I'm willing to pony up $100.00 towards the purchase and I think if we get enough folks interested this could become a reality.  Several people expressed interest and willingness to donate to the purchase.  If you are interested please comment and let us know what you will contribute to the purchase.

I agree that's a lot of mullah. I think the board should decide whether to pursue and maybe set a limit on club funds to be used for this. Also, we might want to present to membership at a meeting to gauge interest.

Pardon my Noobiness...what would be the benefit of having such a device?  I ask out of ignorance.  If one were to do one's own maintenance, would it cost to have a BMW dealership clear the code that one had already remediated?

Rusty

I agree and that is why I posted it here after talking to several members that have shown interest. I'm thinking if we could raise 50-60% of the cost through donations then it would be worth it.

Quote from Mark A on June 7, 2016, 5:59 pm

Pardon my Noobiness...what would be the benefit of having such a device?  I ask out of ignorance.  If one were to do one's own maintenance, would it cost to have a BMW dealership clear the code that one had already remediated?

Mark

I've seen a number of posts on the ADVRider forum and costs seem to vary from free to $100 bucks depending on the dealer and your relationship with them.

This would be a real benefit and useful tool for club members.  Appears the USB has more capability than WiFi version, but does not support support several bikes including K1600GT so would need some consensus on model.  Be helpful if someone managed tool (rather than letting it float) and could show people best how to use.

http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/compare

http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/function-chart

I know the unit works well, and probably would already own one if my old bike could plug into one, but for me and everyone else still under warranty, there's no need right now.  Also, previous threads make it sound like there is more than one model out there, and could be more in the future.  Are we certain if we buy one, it will remain useful in years to come?  There also needs to be an understanding that if you put money into it, there's no refund if you leave.  It seems like a good idea, but probably needs a live discussion to work out the details, probably board first, then presented to the membership.